What is Tag Management?
Do I need Tag Management?
Types of Tags supported by Tag Management Solutions
How it works: Common Approaches of Tag Management
Why Tag Management?
Most tag management solutions have partners with prebuilt common tags to implement quickly and save you time. There are often workflow and user administration features to manage users and processes to manage quality assurance as well as approvals to launch tags. The uses of simplified user interfaces make it easy for everyone to use the tool. There are also reports to see if the tags are working effectively. Many vendors give you additional features for auditing, conversion analysis, and attribution modeling.
Recommendations for Tag Management by Business type
- For small businesses that need tag management, I would recommend Google Tag Manager. It’s free and it should provide you with the basic necessities of tag management with align with your marketing tactics.
- For mid-sized businesses with multiple tags, 1-10 million pageviews, and a need for tag templates, I would recommend QuBit. It has native reporting with API features and about 50 tag templates for ease of use. It’s fairly priced and has options for self-service or hosted management.
- For enterprise businesses with multiple tags, mobile devices, security issues and more, I would recommend Ensighten. It has hybrid deployment options with additional modules such as mobile or privacy. It’s more expensive but worth the security features. There’s a one-time flat implementation fee plus the cost of pageviews.
Action Items to move forward with Tag Management
- Take inventory of your tags and future tagging opportunities.
- Review tag management solutions that meet your business’s needs.
- Do your research on possible vendors & demo the solutions.
- Select a solution for your business.
- Find two tag management champions: Business side & IT.